Total Pageviews

Friday, November 2, 2012

Success?

Hmmm...so, I was recently talking with my sponsor and I asked him if it were possible to be successful and spiritual at the same time. he very prudently asked me what my definition of success was. Sensing the game was afoot, I hesitated in answering.

Just to give some background... At one point I had over 5 years of sobriety and in that time rose to a position in life that I had previously never attained. I was given a management and eventually a director level position in my field, had been named employee of the year, had a condo on the golf course, a nice car, etc... you get the picture.

Problem was that I really didn't know how to handle this...as I stated, I never been on that level in the game of life before. More importantly, I forgot what got me there in the 1st place. A wise man once said to me, "The answer to your problem then becomes your next problem". I think he was on to something there.

So, about the whole "my definition of success" thing...
When my sponsor asked that deep question, I immediately thought about spiritual success versus monetary gains and professional achievement. I wondered if it were possible to have both at the same time as I had seen colleagues and friends attain.

The Big Book of AA on page 127 is very clear about this. It states, "Although financial recovery is on the way for many of us, we found we could not place money first. For us, material well-being always followed spiritual progress; it never preceded".

Well, after some introspection a little research I made an interesting discovery. Here's how one decent dictionary app defines success:
"The favorable or prosperous TERMINATION of attempts or endeavors".

I guess I never really viewed success as an endpoint...a finale. I actually like Michael Jordan's version;
"I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed".

If your waiting for me to drop some bomb; some huge quickening I've been blown away by, well I'm sorry to disappoint. Here's what I know of success today:

So far over the last 24 hours I haven't intentionally hurt anyone, I've given of my time, attention, efforts, and even a little of my meager means to others. I've dressed up and shown up for work and given my best effort. I have told more than one person in my life that I love them. I've prayed and I haven't used any mid altering substances. I've admitted when I was wrong and made amends where appropriate.

As I lay down tonight, I will thank My Creator for another Successful day.

It is my hope and prayer that you will also.


1 comment:

  1. once more, time to put on your big boy pants, but dont forget you can still play once in awhi
    le.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcomed. As a fledgling (and perhaps fancied) writer I am always eager to learn where I might improve.